Tuesday, 18 February 2020
7:00 – 8:30 EST
Present: Joe, Jim, John, Barb, Andrew
Regrets: Monika, Saul
Absent: Adam, Tiffany, Tracy, Ron, Patricia
1. Approval of Agenda
- Agenda approved.
2. Minutes Action Items and Treasurer's Report
- $3,100 in the OBIN account; approximately $2,500 earmarked for External Relations.
- February minutes to be sent out post-meeting by Andrew and approved by email, so they can be included in the Newsletter since the website is presently under revision.
- Newsletter call for Abstracts/Proposals for the 21-24 May North American Basic Income Guarantee (NABIG) Congress (deadline extended to Feb 24).
- Jim to send potential March dates to Andrew and John for a Cross-Provincial Check-In call. Andrew will take notes at the meeting if he is available.
3. Update on status of our technology
- Saul has paid the fees, cleaned up the database and all contact info has been updated in NationBuilder; website work has been progressing and we should have a "draft site" to review in about a week.
- ACTION ITEM: Treasurer and Joe will discuss appropriate format to post on the website.
4. Budget estimate for 2019/2020
- Zoom - already paid to end of fiscal year (30 September 2020)
- Adopting NationBuilder - fees $200
- Software License - $210
- Estimated expenses for C-Team Workshops/Travel - $15,000
- All C-Team members please review the draft budget and provide feedback to Joe for the March C-Team meeting.
- Fundraising to be discussed.
5. February Newsletter - Input and Deadline
- Content is crucial - we want to profile one or two groups per month and highlights from the C-Team
- John is going to reach out to Carole in the Waterloo group this week for an update on their activities to be profiled in a newsletter.
- Jim suggests we include the link to a news story he will provide about the "social assistance review" from the provincial government. Concerns about "privatization of social security" that need to be monitored
- Add reference to BI case for work - Barbara
- Feb 28 deadline for Newsletter content - send to Bob
6. Round Table
- Barbara - cases proceeding: Work document coming out; May 4 on Food Security; May 8 or 13 on Women; Youth - Robert Kiley; Health - will take place in the Fall; Barbara pursuing Hugh Segal on Democracy. Update and discussion session to take place at the NABIG Congress in May.
- John emphasized the challenges of recruitment in general and on finding Co-coordinators - "how do we get enough people to draw from a pool for replacement?".
- Cross-Canada team in place to organize Lobby Day in Ottawa in the Fall.
- Joe working with Saul on website and digital media and making quick progress.
- 23 responses to the e-blast - important feedback on term length and staggering the start of terms (should the C-Team go to 2-year terms with half the positions starting each year?).
- ACTION ITEM: Organize an informal meet-up for OBIN members at NABIG Congress on Friday or Saturday night - Joe to work on it.
7. New Business
8. Next meeting date and time
- ACTION ITEM: Joe will follow up with the C-Team members to pin down a time. Aiming for Monday, 23 March 2020 at 7:00 pm EST.
- Meeting adjourned at 8:18pm.